Soldier in God's Army

Soldier in God's Army
Soldier in God's Army

Sunday, April 15, 2012

MTC Week #4 4/13/2012

What can I say about this week? It went by so fast. Well, we finally got a new district in our zone, so we aren't the newest ones here anymore. Unfortunately, these Elders don't take pranks as well as we do (or as well as we give out, and we are pretty generous with them.) One time I spooned (put a spoon from the cafeteria in their pockets) all of the new guys. We were eating lunch and I managed to get a spoon in multiple pockets for each new district member without getting caught - quite an accomplishment considering there are 7 of them. Then while they were in a meeting with one of the branch presidency, one of the Elders reached into his pocket for a pen and pulled out the spoon! He had no idea what was going on, and the branch presidency member pretty much new the prank but thought it was long over.

So I just got back to the temple, and it was a pretty good experience. I have really been trying to recognize the spirit more easily. I have been working with one of my instructors on helping me to feel and recognize the spirit, as I have been having a hard time because it feels as though I can't feel it when I should be, and when everybody else seems to be feeling it pretty strongly. I think a lot of it might be because since I was a kid I have naturally shielded myself from most emotions (subconsciously protecting myself from anybody who could emotionally hurt me), and that shield I have put up is not allowing me to feel the spirit or God's love for me. I need to start trusting others, especially God, and stop looking out for myself. I have realized that I need to allow others to be a part of my life and not be so protective of my emotions, despite how I may have taken some major blows in the past (of which only a handful of people may know about). I have been making an effort to make a change of heart and turn to God in all that I do.

So at the MTC here, most people gain quite a bit of weight. I consider it to be a major accomplishment for me to have lost 0.3 lbs in one week, weighing myself in at 220.1. If me and my companion, Elder Wensel, didn't lift hard every day, I'm certain I would look like the next Chris Farley.

So they finally announced that we don't have to wear suit coats around everywhere anymore! Only to devotionals. When they announced this, everybody in the devotional meeting stood up and screamed for joy and jumped around and there was hugging everywhere. This announcement was long waited for.

This last week went by really fast. It seems like I just wrote the last e-mail 2 days ago. I am getting pretty good at saying whatever I want to say in Spanish, but it still sounds like I have a speech impediment when I talk. Hopefully I'll get faster and more fluent in the next two weeks. Elder Wensel and I have made a goal to master the language by the end of the 6th week (that's 2 more week!) I think we can do it if we work hard enough.

If anybody has questions or just wants to write me, feel free! My mailbox has plenty of room in it. Lately it seems so emtpy I think dust and cobwebs are starting to appear.

Elder Tyler Riggs
MTC Box 292-0521
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604

I just want you all to know that I know that God lives and Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that although I need to know it more in the heart as of right now, I know it in my mind and I can't deny him. And I know I can rebuild my relationship with him and feel in my heart that he loves me and will help me through learning the Spanish language and to teach the people in Torreon, Mexico.

Well, my time on the computer is up, but I hope you all feel the urge to write me. If not, you should feel guilty and send me a package. Just kidding. But seriously.

Until next week,
Elder Tyler Mitchell Riggs

P.S. I'm thinking I might want to start going my Mitchell when I get back home, as it is more professional and suitable for the business world. Any thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment