Soldier in God's Army

Soldier in God's Army
Soldier in God's Army

Monday, July 16, 2012

An American-Mexican

16 de Julio, 2012


Wow this week has passed by fast! First off, earlier on this week I took the challenge of eating a raw habanero pepper. A little background about this pepper: it's medium sized, yellowish orange, and is the spiciest pepper of all the natural pepper (the exception is the Ghost Pepper, which is genetically altered). So we were eating dinner in the home of a member, and there was a basket of habaneros. My companion said I should try one, not really thinking I had the guts. So I took one, and he started recording it. He said just to eat the tip, but I bit off all but the stem. I chewed and chewed, and nothing happened. 5 seconds after swallowing, it was like someone put a hot coal on my tongue. I downed about 4 glasses of the served beverage, a ton of salt, and a tortilla and after about 20 minutes of suffering, there was only just a little bit of pain still in my mouth. And now I can say I'm a Mexican. Attached is a video of proof.

Not that I'm expecting anything, but just so you know, you can't send homemade food in packages. Only factory-sealed food will pass the border, as they inspect everything. Yeah, that means I can't have Mom's homemade Christmas sugar cookies for 2 years.

So far I have lost about 7 kilograms (according to the scale last Monday). That's like 15 pounds. That's a kilo every week! Right now I only weigh 215 lbs, so yeah, I'm lighter than I was in high school. Pretty soon I'll have a 6 pack for sure haha.

The rain has been crazy! It rained every day last week.... 7 days in a row! And when it rains, it floods. Attached is a picture of me with some palmeras in the rain. I'm loving it.

So I finally got sick here. Today I was bed ridden all day. The movie Alien kept popping into my head and the part where the Aliens are born by exploding out of the stomachs of the humans after they are grown....so I was kind of expecting to give birth to an Alien in the same fashion. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously it hurt that bad for about 10 straight hours. I'm almost good now, but yeah.... I'm so glad I have my Excedrin.

So we've got a new Missionary Program starting up pretty soon. We're not going to contact...at all. No knocking on doors, no contacting in the street, nada. We are only going to work with less active members, and when we receive references from members we teach them, but only with a member present in the lesson. The whole way of missionary life as we know it is going to change!

As far as the work, it's going better. We had 6 less active members attend church yesterday, and 3 investigators and 3 recent converts. We are working with Maria de Jesus and her baptism date is set for the 28th of this month.

Yet again, I gotta go!

-Elder Tyler Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment